| * It has been estimated by WAZA that over 600 million people visit zoos each year. This is almost certainly an understatement
* It is estimated (by us) that there are more than 2,800 zoos & aquariums in the world.
* Germany (1.2.2003) has 414 registered zoos and the most in any single country.
* The USA has at least 355 zoos.
* Over 105,656,000 visitors went to the 202 (out of the total of 355 zoos) responding institutions in the USA in 2002.
* 29 zoos & aquariums in the USA have more than 1,000,000 visitors a year.
* Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has the most with about 4,500,000 visitors.
* Average adult entrance price (247 zoos) is $ 9.01 in the USA.
* Most expensive adult entrance fee is $ 58.00 into Safari West in Santa Rosa, California.
* Average child entrance price (247 zoos) $ 5.53 in the USA.
* Most expensive child (age 3 to 9) entrance fee is $ 29.99 (plus tax) into SeaWorld San Diego, California.
* The oldest running zoo in the world is Vienna Zoo in Schonbrunn which dates from 1752.
* Philadelphia Zoo was opened on July 1st, 1874 and is said to be the oldest zoo in the USA. But
* Berlin Zoo, Germany, with over 1.500 species has the largest number of species in any zoo in the world.
* The Monterey Bay Aquarium has about 124.000 individual animals and the largest number of animals in any zoo in the world.
* The largest zoo in the US is Red McCombs Wildlife with over 5.000 hectares (12.500 acres).